Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sweet Dreams, 14x11 watercolor painting




Sweet Dreams
14 x 11 watercolor painting
on 140 lb. Arches cold press paper

I love to paint from old black and white photos, especially those of my family. I painted this from my favorite photo of my mother Trudy, who will be 93 in March. Trudy Whittet was one of ten children who grew up on a dairy farm in Redwood Falls, Minnesota. The only heat for the entire house was a wood stove in the kitchen, so in the wintertime the kids used to grab their clothes, run to the barn and get dressed in between the cows to stay warm. What a difficult life. Trudy was an honor student in high school, and she had a scholarship to go to medical school; but her parents would have been required to pay $600, and they just didn't have the money. So Trudy went to Nurse's Training in St. Paul because it was less expensive, and she could work her way through school. Between her schooling and working at the hospital, I can imagine she was bone tired most of the time. One of her classmates took this photo while she was catching a nap. I wish nurses still wore the crisp white uniforms, starched cap and white stockings. I can remember my mom wearing this uniform to work when I was a child. She always looked so professional.

This painting is not for sale, but I hope you enjoyed viewing it.

StevieDennyArt.com

2 comments: